We have not one, not two, but three different podcast projects starting in 2013 and later. Project 3 is the big one that has been teased for months. If you enjoy them, there will be more. Details for all three follow after the break. I’ll be looking for guest hosts for all of them to add a conversation dynamic. If you are interested in guest hosting on one or more, you can email me and let me know.
Project 1: Silver Screen Superman
2013 is the 75th anniversary of Superman, and the Bureau is celebrating by doing a series of podcasts discussing and reviewing the different silver screen incarnations of that amazing stranger from the planet Krypton. The schedule is as follows:
- January 14, 2013 – Covering the nine animated shorts produced by the Fleischer brothers, now in public domain. They can be viewed here. The specific titles are Superman, The Mechanical Monsters, Billion Dollar Limited, The Arctic Giant, The Bulleteers, The Magnetic Telescope, Electric Earthquake, Volcano and Terror on the Midway.
- February 14, 2013 – Covering the eight animated shorts from Famous studios, also in the public domain and found here. The specific titles are Japoteurs, Showdown, Eleventh Hour, Destruction, Inc., The Mummy Strikes, Jungle Drums, The Underground World and Secret Agent.
- March 14, 2013 – Covering the 1948 Kirk Alyn serial, Superman.
- April 14, 2013 – Covering the 1950 Kirk Alyn serial Superman vs. the Atom Man.
- May 14, 2013 – Covering the 1951 Superman and the Mole Men movie that served as a backdoor pilot to The Adventures of Superman with George Reeves.
- June 14, 2013 – Covering Superman (1978), the first Christopher Reeve film.
- July 14, 2013 – Covering Superman II.
- August 14, 2013 – Covering Superman III.
- September 14, 2013 – Covering Superman IV: The Quest For Peace.
- October 14, 2013 – Covering Supergirl.
- November 14, 2013 – Covering Superman Returns.
- December 14, 2013 – Covering Man of Steel, assuming the home video release comes out soon enough to watch often enough to do the podcast properly.
Project 2: Big Screen Batman
2014 is the 75th anniversary of Batman, so he’s getting treatment comparable to Superman.
- January 14, 2014 – Batman (1943) serial
- February 14, 2014 – Batman and Robin (1948) serial
- March 14, 2014 – Batman: The Movie (1966)
- April 14, 2014 – Batman (1989)
- May 14, 2014 – Batman Returns
- June 14, 2014 – Batman Forever
- July 14, 2014 – Batman and Robin (1997)
- August 14, 2014 – Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
- September 14, 2014 – Catwoman (2004)
- October 14, 2014 – Batman Begins
- November 14, 2014 – The Dark Knight
- December 14, 2014 – The Dark Knight Rises
Project 3: X-Files: 20 Year Retrospective
This is the motherlode. The X-Files is the series that first brought me to Bureau 42 as an author, and it celebrates its 20th anniversary on September 10, 2013. On that day, we launch a biweekly podcast in 233 parts, covering every episode of The X-Files, both movies, every episode of The Lone Gunmen and the X-Files parody episodes of 3rd Rock From the Sun, Bones, Crusade, Home Improvement, ReBoot, The Simpsons and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. If I can find a legal copy of episode 14 of the third season of Weird Science, I’ll include that as a 234th episode. With only two exceptions, all episodes will be discussed in broadcast (or theatrical release) order. This is the podcast I started recording on September 9, 2012, with the intention of staying at least a year ahead of release so that everything comes out on schedule. The project has its own email address at [email protected], and I will be looking at having guest hosts for specific episodes to provide a change of pace. If you have Skype and an episode or two that you would love to talk about, drop me a line. As of this moment, I have recorded 7 out of 233 parts. (I had recorded 8, but there was a microphone issue and I need to rerecord one.)