This is a fantastic week for Superman fans, and a pretty good week for everyone else.
First, the genre releases:
- 12:01 Special Edition: A time loop movie that’s been very well reviewed.
- Angel – Season One: The Slim Set release.
- Angel – Season Two: The Slim Set release.
- Angel – Season Three: The Slim Set release.
- Angel – Season Four: The Slim Set release.
- Angel – Season Five: The Slim Set release.
- The Ant Bully
- The Christopher Reeve Superman Collection: A nice box set, but not the best choice for a Superman box set today. See below.
- Elfen Lied Complete Collection
- His and Her Circumstances
- Joan of Arcadia – Second Season
- Mamoru Oshii – Cinema Trilogy Collection
- Mars Daybreak – Complete Collection
- Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Destiny, Vol. 5
- Mobile Suit Gundam Seed: The Movie Trilogy
- Planetes: Complete Collection
- Please Twins: Anime Legends Complete Collection
- Robin Hood (Most Wanted Edition): A special edition of the Disney flick.
- See No Evil
- She: An old, old Ray Harryhausen movie.
- Starship Operators – Complete Collection
- Supergirl: Yes, even this gets a special edition today.
- Superman – The 1948 and 1950 Theatrical Serials Collection: The only silver screen Superman material I’ve never seen. If Christmas weren’t coming up so soon, I’d change that immediately. It’s not in the mondo box set below.
- Superman – The Movie (Four Disk Special Edition): Includes a large number of bonus features, both edits of the film, and nine of the Fleischer studios cartoons.
- Superman II (Two Disk Special Edition): Includes the theatrical cut and the other eight Fleischer cartoons.
- Superman II – The Richard Donner Cut: Donner had a chance to rework the movie lately, given how unfairly he was fired the first time around.
- Superman III (Deluxe Edition): The one with Richard Pryor, now with special features.
- Superman IV – The Quest For Peace (Deluxe Edition): Includes some deleted scenes which, I’m told, make it much less horrible.
- Superman Returns: The single disk edition
- Superman Returns: The two disk edition.
- Superman Ultimate Collector’s Edition: When my parents asked me for my Christmas list, this was the one and only item that required no thought whatsoever. It includes a grand total of 14 DVDs! Specifically, it has the four disk edition of the first movie, the two disk edition of Superman II, the Richard Donner edition of Superman II, the deluxe editions of Superman III and Superman IV, the two disk edition of Superman Returns, a disk of Bryan Singer’s production journals, the “Look, Up in the Sky!” documentary, and a copy of “You Will Believe: The Cinematic Saga of Superman.” Every silver screen appearance of Superman but the serials is in here. The price tag may seem high, but once you realize that it works out to $5/disk, it doesn’t seem so bad.
- Things To Come: The adaptation of H.G. Wells’ work.
- Thundercats – Season Two, Vol. 2
- Touched By An Angel – Third Season, Vol. 2
Now, the non-genre releases:
- 7th Heaven – The Complete Third Season
- Bones – Complete First Season: David Boreanez without Joss Whedon.
- Clerks 2: The only Kevin Smith movie I still haven’t seen.
- Criminal Minds: I’ve never seen it, but anything with Mandy Patinkin can’t be all bad.
- An Evening With Kevin Smith 2 – Evening Harder: The first was amusing and informative.
- Hammer Film Noir 4: Includes “Terror Street” and “Dead On Course.” I’ve heard of neither.
- Hammer Film Noir 5: Nor have I heard of “The Glass Tomb” or “Paid To Kill.”
- Little House on the Prairie – Special Edition Movie Boxed Set: Three movies are included.
- Pandora’s Box – Criterion Collection: Criterion just doesn’t release bad movies.
- St. Elsewhere – Season One: I don’t remember Denzel Washington or Howie Mandell being this prominent during the opening credits.
- A Star Is Born
- The Usual Suspects: Regular edition of Singer’s best work.
- The Usual Suspects: Special edition of Singer’s best work.
- Van Wilder: The unrated Van Gone Wilder edition.
Finally, the pick of the week.
Could it really have been anything but the Superman Ultimate Collector’s Edition? That’s a monster set of a fantasy icon.
Joan of Arcadia
I really liked that show. It’s unfortunate that they ended the second (and final) season on a bit of a cliffhanger. Seems like the shows I like the best are the ones cancelled early.
Check out Chad’s News