The site hasn’t been hacked or taken over by SyFy or anything; it just got a long-overdue makeover and more-or-less complete upgrade. We’d actually hoped to celebrate April Fool’s with a different, and much more ugly, version of the site, but things just didn’t work out quite that way.
Instead of running on hand-cobbled software I put together nearly nine years ago, we’ve moved everything over to WordPress, one of the best packages out there for that sort of thing. While basically everything made the trip into the new database safely, there are a few things to watch out for:
- User-names are Case-SenSiTiVe now. We apologize for the inconvenience.
- A (very) few old stories and old comments look a bit weird. Sorry ’bout that.
- The old submission queue has taken a temporary holiday. I’m picking a new one up over the weekend. In the short-term, if you have a story suggestion (or any other comment, really) email Dave.
- Same thing, if you discover anything else horribly broken or missing. (There are a few things we already know about, but send us comments anyway.)
- If you want a custom user icon/avatar, sign up for the Gravatar service. There, you can create a “global avatar” that works not only here, but on many other Web sites as well.
We hope you enjoy your stay at the “new” Bureau.