Tomorrow, Saturday May 5, is the 2012 edition of the annual Free Comic Book Day. The complete list of titles is here, and the participating store locator is here. I’ve had the opportunity to check some titles out early. My thoughts are below.
- DC: The New 52 – This starts with the origin of Pandora, the Hooded Woman of the DCU, and her connections to several classic DC and Fawcett characters, and ends with two pages samplers of several of this month’s first issues. The ties between Pandora and others grabbed my attention.
- Avengers #1 – A reprint of the first issue of the current run on the title.
- Avengers: Age of Ultron – It’s the second straight year that Ultron has been teased in FCBD, but with Bendis leaving the Avengers franchise after AvX, I don’t know where the story will be told. Is it a miniseries, or is it tied into the return of the Phoenix? Is it going to be its own event, possibly next summer? Is it just a story that Bendis is handing off to someone else? (That strikes me as unlikely.)
- Star Wars / Serenity flip book – For the first time, dialogue in a Serenity comic feels perfect. The Star Wars half is enjoyable.
- Buffy / Guild flip book – Get this one. There’s a very surprising final panel in the Buffy section that will be big. Expect surprises.
- Ultimate Spider-Man – Based on the TV series. Enjoyable enough.
- The Hypernaturals – 16 pages of a new Abnett/Lanning series through Boom. I enjoyed this one too.
- Mega Man – Holy crap! This was great! Go out of your way to check this out, seriously!
- Superman Family Adventures / DC Nation Flip Book – The DC Nation part felt bland, which surprised me given my Green Lantern love, but the Superman side was very enjoyable. It’s one of those “all ages” books that really means “all ages” as opposed to “kiddie book.”