This week has much for the art film lover, but little for anyone else.
First, the DVD releases:
- The American Gangster: A Ben Burtt film. Note the “The” in the title.
- American Gangster (Three Disc Deluxe Edition): Not the film listed above.
- American Gangster (Two Disc Deluxe Edition): Also not “The American Gangster,” but rather the Denzel Washington / Russell Crowe movie.
- Coach: The Third Season
- Cops: 20th Anniversary Edition
- Death Note – Vol. 3
- Death Note Vol. 3 (Limited Edition)
- Dragonball Z – Season Four
- The Easter Bunny Is Coming To Town: A Rankin/Bass Easter special? I may need to check this out.
- Father Ted: The Holy Trilogy
- Gangsters – The Ultimate Film Collection: Includes “American Gangster,” “Scarface (1983),” “Casino” and “Carlito’s Way.”
- George W. Bush: Fighting to the Finish: This “unbiased historical document” will be printed on demand and distributed through Fox News.
- German Expressionism Collection: Includes “The Hands of Orlac,” “The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari,” “Secrets of a Soul,” and “Warning Shadows.” This is the kind of thing Kino video does very well with.
- He-Man and the Masters of the Universe – Volume One
- In The Valley of Elah
- It’s The Easter Beagle, Charlie Brown
- Lust, Caution: Ang Lee, director of genre and non-genre films alike, follows “Brokeback Mountain” with an erotic spy thriller.
- Michael Clayton
- Les Miserables: This is the “10th Anniversary Dream Cast in Concert at London’s Royal Albert Hall.”
- Pierrot le Fou – Criterion Collection: By Goddard
- Rhinoceros Eyes: When this independent film first came out, I had the press release e-mailed to me on a regular basis. I couldn’t find anything in that release that indicated it was the sci-fi or fantasy film that we report on, so I didn’t do anything with it. (The writer/director also made “Bed and Breakfast,” which I contacted him about based on what turned out to be a false rumour that someone I knew was in the movie, so that may be why I kept getting the press release. Incidentally, the truth behind the rumour was that she was in a dinner theater group that worked in an actual bed and breakfast, rather than a movie with that title.) I’m planning to pick up this DVD, and if it does have any genre elements to it, I’ll do a review.
- Robson Arms: The Complete Second Season
- Walker – Criterion Collection: Starring Rene Auberjonois
- Walker, Texas Ranger: The Complete Fourth Season
Now, the Blu-Ray releases:
The HD DVD releases are as follows:
- American Gangster: The Crowe/Washington effort.
- The Invasion: I swear I’ve listed this three times now. Does the release date keep changing? That could be it; it’s a Warner release, and with their new exclusive Blu-Ray contract, their HD DVD titles are often getting delayed.
Finally, the pick of the week. I’m going with “Run Lola Run,” even if this is just a Blu-Ray release of a movie that’s already out in multiple DVD releases. I may even find an excuse to review it here.