We are of peace. Sometimes.
If you missed the premiere, ABC.com will have it online November 7th.
An extraterrestrial race arrives on Earth with seemingly good intentions, only to slowly reveal their true machinations the more ingrained into society they become.
- I was pleasently surprised that the terrorism motif worked. I didn’t have a good feeling about it when it was teased, but it really works.
- Very nice looking effects. Polished and clean.
- No shaky-cam. I’m done with this trick in Sci-Fi.
- Ryan’s “secret.” It’s not often a TV show surprises me, but this one got me and I liked it.
- Tyler. Not so much the character, that plot line will be critical to the overall story, it’s the performance. I just want to punch his smarmy face, not sympathize with him.
- Too short a premiere. They should have gone with a two-hour premiere to stretch out the drama a little more.
- Calling the Vistors “Vs” is annoying. The V in the original came from graffitti from the resistance (mimicking the Vs painted by the resistance during World War II for “Victory”). V can mean whatever they want, but “Visitors” has a far creepier ring to it.
Originality: 4 out of 6. Remake/Reimagining of the original takes several points away, but it’s definitely different enough to set it apart.
Effects: 6/6. Excellent work from the same crew that brought us Firefly and Battlestar Galactica. Minus the shaky-cam.
Story: 5/6. I’m hooked. I was a huge fan of the original and I’m liking the new version as well.
Acting: 4/6. The main cast is solid and believable. Tyler isn’t cutting it, maybe that’ll change as he gets in deeper.
Production: 4/6. There were some cheesy moments in the final fight scene, but all-in-all it looked good.
Emotional response: 4/6. Again, I’m hooked into the story and want to see where it leads.
Overall: 4/6. It’s not the original (and that’s a good thing, we don’t need a complete remake), but it’s topical with nods back to the original and the events it originally parallelled.
The V Pilot receives thirty-one out of forty-two.